Bio/Info

This website is archived. Please visit my current and more comprehensive website. Thank you.

Short Official Bio:

A former journalist, Sean M. Kennedy is a Ph.D. candidate in English at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, investigating questions of global political economy and governance, decolonization, and cultural and media form. He holds an M.F.A. in creative writing from Rutgers University–Newark, a B.A. in English and modern studies from the University of Virginia, and taught at Medgar Evers College for two years. His dissertation is an interdisciplinary study of global gangster culture and settler-colonial/postcolonial rule of law, focused on Mumbai, Johannesburg, and New York City.

Longer Official Bio:

A former journalist, Sean M. Kennedy is a Ph.D. candidate in English at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, investigating questions of global political economy and governance, decolonization, and cultural and media form. He holds an M.F.A. in creative writing from Rutgers University–Newark, a B.A. in English and modern studies from the University of Virginia, and taught at Medgar Evers College for two years (and before that at Lehman College, Borough of Manhattan Community College, and Rutgers–Newark). His dissertation is an interdisciplinary study of global gangster culture and settler-colonial/postcolonial rule of law, focused on Mumbai, Johannesburg, and New York City—a project for which he’s received several Graduate Center grants for archival research in India and South Africa. In 2014 he won the Diana Colbert Award for Innovative Teaching from the Graduate Center’s Ph.D. program in English, and since 2013 he’s been the coordinator of advocacy and education for the CUNY Adjunct Project (and since 2015 a member of the Doctoral Students’ Council). He’s published in Social Text and presented at the Modern Language Association, American Comparative Literature Association, American Studies Association, Cultural Studies Association, and Critical Ethnic Studies Association conferences, among other scholarly and activist gatherings.

First-Person Addendum:

You can contact me by leaving a comment on this site, by engaging with me on Twitter (@slicksean), or by emailing me at skennedy@gradcenter.cuny.edu. You can also visit my professional website, which pre-dates this specifically academic one.

You can learn about my various current and past academic initiatives here.

Thank you for visiting and reading.

Me at the University of the Witwatersrand Historical Papers archive on the last stretch of my six-week research trip to South Africa, July-August 2015.

At the University of the Witwatersrand Historical Papers archive, August 2015.

2 thoughts on “Bio/Info

1. Many thanks for your generosity!

2. Jamelie Hassan says:

Brilliant & Impressive work. Good to be aware of your research & publications.