Academic Initiatives

The 2015 MLA Subconference in Vancouver Jan. 7-8 on “Non-Negotiable Sites of Struggle,” for which I served on the organizing committee.

“CUNY Stands for Justice: From Ferguson to Palestine,” a night of education, performance, discussion, and community highlighting interconnected struggles for liberation on Sept. 22, 2014, at the Graduate Center, which I co-organized. Click the link to watch the event (it starts at 35:30).

“Critical Diversities and/in the Academy: Thought and Practice,” a speaker series and colloquium at the Graduate Center I organized for the spring 2014 semester. Click the link for the rationale, details of the four speakers, and videos of their talks and ensuing discussion. Funding for this series was generously provided by CUNY’s Diversity Projects Development Fund and the Graduate Center’s Doctoral Students Council.

Critical U., the open-access Tumblr of readings and other materials I created for the English-composition class I taught at Lehman College, CUNY, in spring 2014 on the topic of critical university studies.

“The War Here and Abroad: CUNY and U.S. Empire,” a panel and discussion at the Graduate Center in Dec. 2013 I co-organized. Click the link to watch the video.

Stop-and-Frisk Desist, the open-access Tumblr I created of readings and other materials for the English-composition class I taught at Lehman College, CUNY, in fall 2013 on the topics of stop-and-frisk specifically and racial profiling generally.

“Teaching Against Stop-and-Frisk and Racial Profiling”—open-access teaching and pedagogic materials I created for the aforementioned class at Lehman. (I was humbled to receive the Graduate Center’s PhD Program in English’s 2014 Diana Colbert Innovative Teaching Prize on the basis of these materials.)

The CUNY Adjunct Project, for which I’ve labored part-time as the coordinator of advocacy and education since July 2013.

Ethicopoliticolit, my academic-research Tumblr, to which I’ve posted things I’m reading and thinking about since Aug. 2012.